[:en]Fall Canvass Manager[:]
Job Description - Temporary Position
Start Date: August 1, 2018 - November 30, 2018
POSITION: Fall Canvass Manager
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
BACKGROUND: Padres & Jóvenes Unidos is a multi-issue organization led by people of color who work for racial and health justice, educational equity, and immigrant rights. Our parent and youth members work together to organize in their communities to challenge the root cause of discrimination, racism and inequity by exposing the economic, social and institutional basis for injustice as well as developing effective strategies to realize meaningful change.
Padres Unidos was formed in 1992 by a group of parents who joined forces to remove the principal at Denver’s Valverde Elementary School who was punishing Spanish-speaking students by forcing them to eat lunch on the cafeteria floor. Their win propelled their organizing forward, taking on other racist practices throughout the district. Jóvenes Unidos, the student branch of Padres Unidos, was formed in 2000 when youth came together to turnaround their school, Cole Middle School, which at the time was the state’s lowest performing middle school. Since then, Padres & Jóvenes Unidos has evolved into a racial justice multi-issue organization whose historic wins, rooted in members’ demands to achieve institutional change, have gained local and national recognition.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION: Padres & Jóvenes Unidos seeks an energetic, detail-oriented person to lead civic engagement work for the 2018 election cycle.
The ideal candidate will possess exceptional organizational skills, flexibility and focus, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the initiative and problem-solving skills required to manage a variety of tasks/functions with confidence and diligence.
POINTS OF UNITY: The Fall Canvass Manager must have unity with our Points of Unity including a racial and class equity lens; promoting the leadership of those most directly impacted by an issue; building unity with friends and allies as part of movement building; and working towards institutional change and reform through organizing.
- Facilitate Fall 2018 canvassing program outreach and education including (GOTV, Voter Registration, ballot initiatives, voter engagement).
- Utilize VAN to create walk lists, turfs, call lists, scripts, etc.
- Lead and supervise the day-to-day functions of canvassing, creation and facilitation of canvass training, development of script and materials, preparing turf, packets and equipment.
- Attend all relevant meetings.
- Work closely with other staff to integrate civic engagement and electoral activism into PJU’s work in advocacy, community organizing, and youth empowerment.
- Mobilize voters and community members in grassroots activities to support policy and campaign goals.
- Take lead on planning and coordinating forums/events such as school board and other C3 candidate forums. This includes coordinating with other organizations and government officials and overseeing the logistical details for events.
- Strong political alignment and passionate belief in the mission of Padres & Jóvenes Unidos, which allows organizers to speak to systemic racism and oppression as the root cause of racial, economic and gender disparities in the U.S. This foundation is necessary in order for organizers to raise the political consciousness and awareness of our base and the community at-large.
- Experience running a large scale canvas/voter outreach program.
- VAN/State Voices proficiency.
- Experience hiring, training and supervising team members.
- Bilingual (Spanish and English)--not required but a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to collaborate and be part of a team, as well as work independently, take initiative, self-direct and maintain ownership of individual area of work.
- Contribute to a strong internal staff culture through camaraderie, collaboration and leadership.
- Basic level of proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Apps.
- Strong planning and time-management skills.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Reliable car, valid driver’s license and car insurance.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Salary is based on experience.
TO APPLY: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please address the following in your cover letter:
- Your interest and commitment to grassroots community organizing as a strategy to achieve social justice as it relates to civic engagement; and
- What interests you or resonates with you the most about working with Padres & Jóvenes Unidos?
Padres Unidos is an equal opportunity employer.
Women and people of color are highly encouraged to apply.[:]