POSITION: Executive Assistant, Part-time
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Operations
BACKGROUND: Padres & Jóvenes Unidos is a multi-issue organization led by people of color who work for racial and health justice, educational equity, and immigrant rights. Our parents and youth members work together to organize in their communities to challenge the root cause of discrimination, racism and inequity by exposing the economic, social and institutional basis for injustice as well as developing effective strategies to realize meaningful change.
Padres Unidos was formed in 1992 by a group of parents who joined forces to remove the principal at Denver’s Valverde Elementary School who was punishing Spanish-speaking students by forcing them to eat lunch on the cafeteria floor. Their win propelled their organizing forward taking on other racist practices throughout the district. Jóvenes Unidos, the student branch of Padres Unidos, was formed in 2000 when youth came together to turnaround their school, Cole Middle School, which at the time was the state’s lowest performing middle school. Since then, Padres & Jóvenes Unidos has evolved into a racial justice multi-issue organization whose historic wins, rooted in members’ demands to achieve institutional change, have gained local and national recognition.
POINTS OF UNITY: The Communications Manager must have unity with our Points of Unity including a racial and class equity lens; promoting the leadership of those most directly impacted by an issue; building unity with friends and allies as part of movement building; and working towards institutional change and reform through organizing.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION: Padres & Jóvenes Unidos seeks an energetic, detail-oriented person to support executive leadership. The part-time (20 hours/week) Executive Assistant will assist and report to the three Co-Executive Directors.
- Manage the schedules and bookings of the Co-Executive Directors.
- Assist with correspondence and preparing background materials for board members, donors and external contacts.
- Coordinate travel arrangements for the Co-Executive Directors.
- Provide research assistance for the Co-Executive Directors as needed.
- Provide administrative support to the board of directors; handle all logistics for board meetings.
- Aid in the coordination of meetings and events sponsored or managed by PJU, including communications, logistical and travel arrangements.
- Provide clerical support to the Co-Executive Directors.
- As needed, collaborate with development team to plan and facilitate funder meetings and site visits.
- Strong political alignment and passionate belief in the mission of Padres & Jóvenes Unidos, which allows organizers to speak to systemic racism and oppression as the root cause of racial, economic and gender disparities in the U.S. This foundation is necessary in order for organizers to raise the political consciousness and awareness of our base and the community at-large.
- Associate’s degree.
- Previous work experience and satisfaction with working in an administrative support role.
- Bilingual (Spanish and English) a plus
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to collaborate and be part of a team, as well as work independently, take initiative, self-direct and maintain ownership of individual area of work.
- Contribute to a strong internal staff culture through camaraderie, collaboration and leadership.
- Basic level of proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Apps.
- Strong planning and time-management skills.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Reliable car, valid driver’s license and car insurance.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Salary is based on experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits package.
TO APPLY: Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com .
Please address the following in your cover letter:
- Your interest and commitment to grassroots community organizing as a strategy to achieve social justice; and
- What interest you/resonates with you the most about working with Padres & Jóvenes Unidos?
Padres Unidos is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are highly encouraged to apply.