POSITION: Community Organizer, Full-time
REPORTS TO: Organizing Director
Must be willing to work several evenings per week and several weekends per month.
BACKGROUND: Padres & Jóvenes Unidos is a multi-issue organization led by people of color who work for racial and health justice, educational equity, and immigrant rights. Our parents and youth members work together to organize in their communities to challenge the root cause of discrimination, racism and inequity by exposing the economic, social and institutional basis for injustice as well as developing effective strategies to realize meaningful change.
Padres Unidos was formed in 1992 by a group of parents who joined forces to remove the principal at Denver’s Valverde Elementary School who was punishing Spanish-speaking students by forcing them to eat lunch on the cafeteria floor. Their win propelled their organizing forward taking on other racist practices throughout the district. Jóvenes Unidos, the student branch of Padres Unidos, was formed in 2000 when youth came together to turnaround their school, Cole Middle School, which at the time was the state’s lowest performing middle school. Since then, Padres & Jóvenes Unidos has evolved into a racial justice multi-issue organization whose historic wins, rooted in members’ demands to achieve institutional change, have gained local and national recognition.
POINTS OF UNITY: The community organizer must have unity with our Points of Unity including a racial and class equity lens; promoting the leadership of those most directly impacted by an issue; building unity with friends and allies as part of movement building; and working towards institutional change and reform through organizing.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION: Working in tandem with the Directors Team, the Community Organizer is part of a Field Team responsible for developing, planning and executing effective organizing strategies in the field (target schools, neighborhoods and communities) in order to secure local and state-wide campaign wins. We are seeking a tenacious and revolutionary bilingual (Spanish and English) organizer able to immediately leap into our current campaign work.
- Grow and sustain the base by conducting regular on-going cold outreach such as canvassing, presentations, tabling, flyering, school outreach, phone banking, etc.
- Maintain the base by conducting regular base-building activities like one-on-ones, house meetings, follow-up phone calls and chapter and member meetings. Activate the base by successfully leading it to action: direct support of campaigns, as well as mobilizing it to community meetings, actions or events, etc.
- Develop and lead a cadre of parent and/or youth leaders by developing the leadership, organizing skills and political consciousness of members through the execution of leadership development plans that include regular field work, formal and informal group skill-building trainings, one-on-one coaching and mentoring, political education sessions and regular touch points with leaders.
- Develop and run curriculum and programming that successfully combines political education, organizing theory and fieldwork.
- Initiate and manage current and/or new school-based member sites, including the development and management of key relationships with school staff and administrators.
- Work closely with the Field Team to plan, coordinate and lead organizational activities such as membership meetings, community meetings, direct actions and accountability sessions.
- Represent Padres & Jóvenes Unidos in the broader community. As needed, participate in ally events and activities to build and maintain the organization’s visibility and community solidarity.
- When needed to advance campaign goals forward, collaborate with allies, partner organizations, elected officials and institutions.
- Maintain strong records that document the organizer’s work, including: utilization of database; turnout trackers; reflections; debrief notes; meeting notes; etc.
- Strong political alignment and passionate belief in the mission of Padres & Jóvenes Unidos, which allows organizers to speak about systemic racism and oppression as the root cause of racial, economic and gender disparities in the U.S. This foundation is necessary in order for organizers to raise the political consciousness and awareness of the PJU base and the community at-large.
- Strong philosophical alignment and commitment to the Padres & Jóvenes Unidos theory of change and organizing model in which organizers bring those most impacted – working class and people of color – to the forefront of the organizing.
- Able to identify gaps, set priorities, develop and execute plans that include the following components: base building, leadership development, action research, direct action and strategic communications.
- Bilingual (Spanish and English).
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and relationship-building skills.
- Self-motivated and flexible with the ability to respond appropriately and with a sense of urgency to unknown and rapidly changing political conditions.
- A learning-orientation: Humility and willingness to learn and grow; tendency to remain self-aware; ability to self-reflect and evaluate his/her/their own practice as well as our collective work; seek, implement and offer feedback; set and hold high expectations for self and others.
- Ability to collaborate and be part of a team, as well as work independently, take initiative, self-direct, overcome challenges in a fast-paced environment and maintain ownership of individual area of work.
- Contribute to a strong internal staff culture through camaraderie, collaboration and leadership.
- Basic level of proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Apps. Training and support in utilizing PowerBase will be provided.
- Reliable car, valid driver’s license and car insurance.
- To effectively reach community members, this position requires regular evening and weekend work.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Salary is based on experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits package.
TO APPLY: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please address the following in your cover letter:
- Your interest and commitment to grassroots community organizing as a strategy to achieve social justice; and
- What interest you/resonates with you the most about working with Padres & Jóvenes Unidos?
Padres Unidos is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are highly encouraged to apply.